See more, treat more comprehensively with CBCT integration in ClinCheck® Pro 6.0 software.
Our treatment planning software is constantly evolving based on the data of more than 12 million smiles transformed1 to help you confidently and more comprehensively treat patients.
See patients' roots, crowns and bone during treatment planning in one auto-generated 3D model with new CBCT integration.
Maximizes the efficiency of powerful ClinCheck tools like 3D Controls.
More- informed treatment planning for a broad range of malocclusions.
• Teen case with impacted or unerupted teeth
Enable CBCT functionality in ClinCheck Pro 6.0 in 4 easy steps to work in one integrated platform.
When submitting a case, on the “Scan’s & Impressions” tab check “CBCT” in the CBCT Scan section.
Upload your CBCT files/folders.
Start your Invisalign® Rx by selecting “Traditional Rx”—required for CBCT integration.
Start your treatment planning process in ClinCheck Pro 6.0 leveraging the now enabled “Roots” button in the tool bar.
Three new views in one integrated platform to enhance treatment planning.
Roots with semitransparent bone
Roots and bone
Learn more about how to treatment plan with new CBCT integration in ClinCheck Pro 6.0.
Frequently asked questions
Detailed instructions are located on the Invisalign Doctor Site Education page in document A001623 Rev A, CBCT Protocol Information.
Below are the requirements, recommendations, and an important note:
- The CBCT scan shall be provided in the DICOM format
- Either as a single large (usually much bigger than 100 MB) .dcm file containing all layers of the CBCT scan.
- Or as a list of small (usually about several MB) .dcm files – each file contains a single layer of the CBCT scan. Typical ortho CBCT scan contains several hundred of layers.
- Align accepts “ortho” CBCT scans sizes equal to Size A (red), B (green), or C (purple) as illustrated in Figure 1. Note: Size A and B scans will be automatically truncated to Size C in the final ClinCheck treatment plan. Scans of Size D (yellow) and E (blue) are not supported.
- CBCT scan area shall fully cover all teeth with their roots, as well as unerupted/partially erupted/impacted teeth with their roots (if any).
- Recommended resolution for CBCT scan is no less than 0.3 mm (any dimension). Align will accept CBCT scans with lower resolution, but please be aware that the precision of resulted 3D model of roots and bone will decrease accordingly.
- Align recommends using CBCT machine manufacturer-recommended settings for taking ortho CBCT scans intended for Invisalign treatment planning
- CBCT case setup SLA (turnaround time from the moment of the case submission till the moment treatment plan in ClinCheck is ready for doctor’s review) is the same as for Invisalign® Comprehensive case w/o CBCT. Please be aware that this SLA only applicable for CBCT scans taken with a scanner from officially supported CBCT scanners list (see below). If you upload a CBCT scan from the CBCT scanner which is not in the official support list, Align will attempt to process it, but we cannot guarantee any turnaround time for such case.
Please refer to CBCT scanner user manual for recommended settings (field of view (FOV), tube voltage (kVp), tube current (mA) exposure time, rotation arc). If the user manual does not contain required instructions, please contact your CBCT scanner vendor for recommendations.
Slightly opened bite is preferable, though you can proceed with closed bite scans as well.
Please refer to CBCT scanner user manual on how to export CBCT scan into DICOM format. If the user manual does not contain required instructions, please contact your CBCT scanner vendor for recommendations.
The following scenarios result in an invalid CBCT scan (DICOM)
- Incomplete CBCT scan – that has missing layers
- CBCT scan from another patient
- CBCT scan with roots position that differs from crowns’ position in the intraoral scan submitted alongside with CBCT scan for the patient (e.g. the CBCT scan taken at another stage of ortho treatment comparing to intraoral scan)
- Broken CBCT scan – that has one or several DICOM files missing or damaged
- Truncated CBCT scan – that does not cover all fully erupted teeth and roots, as well as unerupted/partially erupted/impacted teeth and roots (if any).
- Low-quality CBCT scans with too low contrast, over exposed and/or image blur (due to patient movement during scanning). See example (Figure 3)
CBCT scan uploading should take about 5 min for internet connection 30 Mbit/s and no more than 2 min for internet connection 100 Mbit/s
Yes. Start patients in different browser tabs. For each patient a separate CBCT uploader tab will open as soon as you choose the CBCT option for that patient.
CBCT uploader will offer you to re-upload the scan. In case of second unsuccessful attempt please address to Technical support and provide the case’s Patient ID (PID).
Real roots and a reference bone (a static bone model as it segmented from CBCT scan) are visible through entire treatment plan
It is possible to upload up to eight (8) CBCT scans for one patient. In every prescription (order) only one from these scans can be used.
If Align informs you that your submitted CBCT scan is wrong (invalid), you can refer to the below 2 options,
- Re-upload the CBCT scan for the case
- Cancel CBCT option for the case and proceed with the setup without CBCT data
A CBCT scan can be added to a previously created Comprehensive order if the order has not been submitted yet. If the Rx has already been submitted, then a CBCT scan cannot be added. Additional aligner orders can be submitted without a CBCT scan even if the primary order was submitted with a CBCT scan.
You can do so, but CBCT data (roots and bone) will disappear from your new Treatment Plan created for a limited-stage product
No, the TMT will still display the values for the virtual roots. This improvement is planned for a future release.
The following list of scanners export CBCT file images supported by and can be uploaded to Invisalign treatment planning.
- Carestream Health
- CS 9600
- CS 9300
- CS 9000
- Cefla S.C.
- NewTom 5G
- NewTom VGi evo
- CRANEX 3D CBCT
- GXDP-700 series with CBCT
- i-CAT FLX CBCT
- Imaging Sciences International (i-CAT) 17-19, 17-19DX
- ORTHOPANTOMOGRAPH OP300 CBCT
- KaVo Pan eXam Plus 3D CBCT
- SCANORA 3Dx
- Dentsply Sirona
- GALILEOS ComfortPLUS CBCT
- ORTHOPHOS XG 3D CBCT
- ORTHOPHOS SL
- FONA Dental, S.R.O.
- Stellaris 3D
- Stellaris 3D
- Papaya 3D
- Papaya 3D
- HEFEI MEYER OPTOELECTRONIC TECHNOLOGY Inc.
- 3D pro
- 3D pro
- J.MORITA MFG. CORP.
- 3D Accuitomo 170
- Veraview X800
- PLANMECA OY
- Planmeca ProMax 3D CBCT
- ProMax 3D Plus CBCT
- Viso G7
- Viso G5
- PreXion3D Excelsior
- PreXion3D Excelsior
- Ray, Co. Ltd
- Rayscan Alpha
- Rayscan Alpha
- RF, Co. Ltd
- RF Naomi CT
- RF Naomi CT
- Green CT
*The above product names are trademarks of their respective owners.
Orders with scans from CBCT scanners not listed as compatible will be attempted. If any issues arise the customer will be notified and the CBCT scan removed from the order. Standard delivery time may be impacted.
Details of the case submission process is outlined in the training module located at the Align Education site - CBCT Integration landing page
Various factors affect the standard delivery time, but the turnaround time is expected to be similar.
Uploading multiple scans does not increase the accuracy of the model.
No. CBCT integration can only be supported for cases submitted with the iTero scanners or other supported third-party intraoral scanners.
Yes, the movie and screen export option will export the currently active view in ClinCheck software (i.e. roots only).
There are no special guidelines.
If you choose to upload a CBCT scan for the Additional Aligner order, it must be a new scan, however, Additional Aligner orders can be submitted without a CBCT scan even if the primary order was submitted with a CBCT scan.
The gingival margin will continue to behave as it currently does. It will follow the tooth.
Yes. Please note the new ruler feature will not be supported for roots.
Details on the case modification process is outlined in the training module located at the Align Education site - CBCT Integration landing page
See chart below
Supported in launch
Supported Products: 1
Additional Aligner Orders
ClinCheck Pro 6.0 Software
ClinCheck Pro 5.0 Software
ClinCheck Live Update for 3D controls
Invisalign Personalized Plan, GLR or MLS cases
1- All other Invisalign products other than those noted
Not in the initial release. It is currently in development.
The CBCT integration feature is part of ClinCheck Pro 6.0 software and utilized the same browsers and devices. Refer to the most recent ClinCheck Software User Guide for located on the Invisalign Education page (search “user guide”).
1 Data on file at Align Technology, December 31, 2021